Where do the Library of Congress comic book collection, acclaimed authors, Bikers Against Child Abuse, chain mail, chocolate, counterfeit cash, everyday heroes, yoga, and the ukulele all converge? It’s the 2013 MWM RG!
We’re especially excited about our keynote speaker – Ryan Davidson of Law and the Multiverse fame! A tentative schedule appears below. We still need volunteers for many parts of the RG. Click here to volunteer! You can learn more about the art contest here. Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page or contact the RG Committee!
Hope to see you there!
Registration, Hospitality, and the Games Room will open by 4:00 PM on Friday. We will endeavor to have those open early, but that will partly depend on the number of volunteers we have helping us set up.
Friday 4:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Sunday 8:00 AM – NOON
Programming: We will have our first programs on Friday at 5:00 PM, and the last ones begin on Sunday at 2:30 PM (ending approximately 3:30 PM).
Hospitality: Open ’round-the-clock once we open up on Friday. Please note, though, to comply with Virginia state law, beer and wine will not be available during the hours of 2:00 AM until 6:00 AM. We will close on Sunday at 2:00 PM in order to pack up.
Games Room: Open ’round-the-clock once we open up on Friday. We will close on Sunday at 2:00 PM in order to pack up.
You can also download the final printed RG program.
- Art Contest (entry/drop off 4-10 pm)
- 5 pm: Sam Kean – The Violinist’s Thumb (interview)
- 5 pm: Andy Edmunds – Made in Virginia
- 5 pm: Telling Stories One Panel at a Time — Matt & Carol Dembicki (interview)
- 6:15 pm: Carol Takafuji – Ukulele and Hula
- 6:45 pm: Joel Zlotnick – Counterfeit Cash: Technology for Making and Combating Fakes
- 7:30 pm: Jamie Noguchi – We Need Another Hero
- Chocolate Orgy (7:30 – 9 pm)
- 8 pm: GenX / Gen Y Meet-and-Greet
- 8:45 pm: Occultorium (Tarot Readings and Fortune Telling): Professional and Amateur Readers
- 9:15 pm: Fishbowl (Adults Only)
- 9:15 pm: Super Charades (Adults Only)
- Sandy Marshall – Suite Story: A Superhero Saga (continues through late Saturday)
- Pool Party (10 pm to midnight)
- Late Night Superhero-Themed Movie (11 pm)
- 8:45 am: Mack – Conquering an Abused Child’s Fear–B.A.C.A.’s Only Mission
- 8:45 am: Lisa Blair – Hatha Yoga
- 9 am: Marta Zlotnick – Introduction to Water Aerobics
- Mensa Testing (9-11 am)
- 10 am: Don Ryan – Unlikely Change Agents
- 10 am: Dave Aronson – This is an Encore Presentation
- 10 am: Joe Haber – Selecting Jewelry: Becoming an Educated Buyer
- Nick Sider – Caricaturist (10am-2pm)
- 11:15 am: Marcia Stutzman – Craft Time Craft Circle
- 11:15 am: Don Sheehan – Effective, Lawful Interrogations*
- 11:15 am: Panel of Heroes
- Art Contest – display and voting
- 1:15 pm: Sally and Ray Strackbein – Three Keys to Getting What You Want
- 1:15 pm: Stanley Korn – A Procedure for Exchanging Unwanted Items
- 1:15 pm: Georgia Higley – The Super-Collection Amongst Us: the Comic Book Collection of the Library of Congress
- 2 pm: Tim Tracy – Improv Theater Games
- 2: 45 pm: Christopher Savage – Links to the Past: A History of Chainmaille
- 2:45 pm: Vanessa Freeman – The Multifaceted Responsibilities of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security
- 2:45 pm: Bob Pugh – Incorporating Politics Into Investing
- 3:15 pm: Boggle Tournament
- 4 pm: Tara Travia, RYT – Yoga For Warriors
- 4 pm: Allison Mondel – Luminous Matter: Exploring the Music of Hildegard von Bingen
- 4 pm: Jack French – The Golden Age of Broadcasting
- 5:15 pm: Win Wenger – Easy Ways to Create SuperHero-Level Improvements in Teaching And Learning
- 8:30 pm: Ceil Rogers – Family Feud
- 8:30 pm: Mary Sugar – Open Mic and Piano
- 8:30 pm: RVC2 Marc Lederman – Mensa Q & A
- Silent Auction – Art Contest Winners Announced
- 9 pm: Ice Cream Social
- 9:45 pm: Marty Blumsack – Carnelli
- 9:45 pm: Dave Aronson – Encore, Encore!
- 9:45 pm: Cryptograms Tournament
- 11:15 pm: Dr. Michelle Carnes – MPassioned Passion Party
- 11:15 pm: Anne Hamilton – Encore (The Song Game)
- Late Night Superhero-Themed Movie 2 (midnight)
- 7:45 am: Nancy McMahan Farrar – Walk With Love 2013
- 9 am: Jeff Miller – Beekeeping in Urban Environments
- 9 am: Tara Travia, RYT – Yoga For Warriors II
- ExComm Meeting (10 – noon)
- 10: 15 am: Steve Beningo – How to Attend an Olympic Games
- 10: 15 am: Victoria Monroe, FCWB – Got Wildlife?
- 10: 15 am: Jared Levine – Demystifying Marathons
- 11:30 am: Wendy Jessup – Splits, Cracks, Holes, Fading and Munchmarks: Preserving Cultural Heritage One Collection at a Time
- 11:30 am: Joke-a-Nelli — Ceil Rogers
- 11:30 am: Nancy McMahan Farrar – In Days of Old, When Knights Were Bold…And There Were No Marvel Comics
- 1:15 pm: Paul Martin – Secret Heroes: Everyday Americans Who Shaped Our World
- 1:15 pm: Martin Moeller – Rediscovering the Eccentric in Washington Architecture
- 1:15 pm: Garth Graham – Drawing Comics Digitally: Trading White Out for Ctrl+Z
- 2: 30 pm: Adrienne Schreiber (Velocityraptor) – In Derby We Trust: Sport and Commerce with DC Rollergirls
Please visit the Youth Track page for detailed information and a schedule!
What else might be there?
Maybe superheroes. Maybe supervillains. Definitely superbrains.
*This presentation is not endorsed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The presenter is not speaking on behalf of the FBI and all reporters present, as a condition of their attendance, must agree not to attribute anything said during the presentation to the FBI.